Greetings!

Welcome to the Agnes, Zero and Rokodo blog. Enjoy reading about our lives and interests.

Monday, July 12, 2010

PC cases really grind my gears (Rokodo)

Above: New case - Click to enlarge

So I'm on my third desktop case. That's right, my third one. I was actually quite happy with my last acrylic one until screws kept shattering on it. Why it is that I seem to be having such rotten luck with my current desktop I do not know. I think the majority of the problems stem from the fact that I keep wanting to add things inside the case - every time you unscrew shit, it becomes weaker. -3-

Anyhow, I just received my latest case today. It's an Akasa Eclipse 62. Now, Akasa didn't design the chassis themselves. It's actually a fairly old design that was intended to be used for tower servers. I chose it because it has awesome airflow and loads of space inside to keep my CPU and other components cool. In fact, I overclocked my Intel Core i7-920 by another 200MHz from 4 to 4.2GHz - this baby flies! And; it still runs 50-60C instead of 70-80C as it did in the old acrylic case. This is a real stress off the mind knowing that my CPU isn't likely to melt any time soon. Practicality and longevity is what I wanted from this case. Hence why I didn't spring for an Antec 1200 - too many LEDs, man!

The only downside of this case appears to be a small flaw in the finish on one corner of the top (roof) panel. However, I ordered this online so it is inevitable for it not to have a dink or two in it. This is just one of those things you have to accept when you buy online. It is a shame I couldn't find a cheaper counterpart of the same chassis, the Eclipse seems to be the only one being sold in the UK right now. Other than these issues it is very sturdy and seeing as it is an aluminium case I consider it to be fairly good value. Fingers crossed that nothing goes wrong with it, I would recommend this Full ATX case as a sensible and practical component housing solution to any system builder for a workstation or server.

If I can find the same chassis under a more generic brand at a considerably cheaper cost I will most definitely consider it for a build in the future, perhaps a personal file server.

TTYL,
Rokodo

No comments:

Post a Comment